This is a review by Today’s monitors of Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor. The manufacturer, “Summer Infant,” founded in 1985, has a great story about its beginning. The founder, William Lockett III, was working on a project and, while caring for his child, sought a place to safely put the baby down. Thus was born the “Bouncy Seat,” and likewise the company. The Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor is only one of their line of baby monitors, and they have a whole host of other products (blankets, pillows, changing pads, strollers, swings, the list goes on) all specifically designed with the child’s safety in mind and priority one. Here at Todays Monitors, we love companies with a passion for their products.
Features of the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor
Features of the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor that encouraged us include it in our best baby monitor review include, but are not limited to:
- 5” Color Touch Screen
- “Wi-Fi” Enabled
- Application Compatibility with Apple and Android
- 2-way talk
- 3 Camera Add-on Capability
Using our “immersion” research approach, we identified the following “up sides” to the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor.
- Touch Screen Feature-The Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor offers touch screen functionality, which is somewhat rare based on our review of other best baby monitors.
- Range-The Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor advertises a range of 400-600 feet. While this is a pretty short range, what we like about this company is their honesty! Most companies advertise a 900-1,000 feet range, but few live up to their standard. This monitor proclaims a low target, but they deliver on more than that-we saw some reviews where the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor was reaching ranges as far as 2,300 feet.
- Specialization-We like that the company’s sole focus is on baby products, and that said, on the safety of those products. The Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor is just one in an overall product line of 5-6 lines of product focus. We like that!
- Customer Service-This is kind of a twist from normal thinking, but we judge their customer service based on the lack of a need for it! When there was a need, though, the feedback we reviewed was very positive. Not surprising to us based on the company’s humble beginning and a seeming family company atmosphere.
- Great Volume and Volume Control-This feedback came from people with much experience in using other baby monitors. The Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor rates highly here.
Immersing ourselves in the reviews posted on Amazon.com to come up with some downsides to the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor,we came up with our “Cons” list.
- Interference-Many users complained about the interference on the Summer Infant Baby Touch Monitor. Quite honestly, our review suggests that the interference issues for this baby monitor are statistically on par with other baby monitors.
- Grainy Picture-The Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor received several reviews identifying picture graininess, but only slightly.
- Battery Life-The battery life of the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor is advertised as 6 hours. It seems as though customers “got what they paid for.” In other words, the company said 6, and behold, it’s 6!
- No Audible Signal When Battery is Low-We were kind of surprised that the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor did not have this feature-it almost a given for the other baby monitors we have reviewed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the more common FAQs on the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor.
Q: Do I need to install any software?
A: No. The only thing you will need to do is to download the free application. Just follow the simple directions.
Q: How do I add a camera?
A: It’s easy. Just touch the “ADD CAM” button on the menu and follow the prompts.
Q: I’m getting a lot of interference. What can I do?
A: You are operating at 2.4 GHz, a commonly used frequency. Turn off other devices that operate at this same frequency (in our opinion, this was a bit of a lame answer).
Q: What is the optimum distance between the baby and the camera?
A: 4-6 feet is a guideline for the distance between The Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor camera and your little one.
In our review of the best baby monitors, the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor ranks high and a buy.
We give the Summer Infant Baby Touch Baby Monitor a thumbs up. Our percentages of favorable to unfavorable rank it as tied for 4th out of 12, however, based on the company, the customer service, and their absolute commitment to safety, we’re setting the percentages aside a little, and giving this a definite GO.