This is a review by www.todaysmonitors.com, reviewers of the best baby monitors available, of the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor (specific Model BB3521, although they make several other Care N Share baby monitors). The Lorex Company is actually affiliated with a parent company called “FLIR.” FLIR focuses on technologies that enhance perception and awareness, like security and surveillance monitors. The baby monitor division is one of 6 divisions of the company.
Features of the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor include, but are not limited to:
- 5” Color Display
- 4-Camera Add-on Capability
- Night Light
- 15’ Night Vision
- 2-Way Talk
- Temperature Readout
- 450’ Maximum Range
- Snap N’ Share Technology (sold separately, it is a data card that allows you to snap shots of your baby and save the image to your hard drive to then send on to friends and family)
Using our research method (we call it “immersion” research, meaning we immerse ourselves in a vast array of existing research and customer reviews), we identified the following positives to the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor.
- Ease of Setup-The setup of the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor is very intuitive and simple to set up. Our customers at www.todaysmonitors.com with a vast array of past history of baby monitors said it was the easiest to set up by far.
- Pan/Tilt/Zoom-The “P/T/Z” of the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor allows for full room viewing.
- Night Vision-The Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor provides great night vision; words used to describe the quality of the images in night view mode were: “crisp,” “crystal clear,” “terrific.”
- Range-We have said this before in our other reviews-we’d rather have the product manufacturer be honest (of course), but also realistic. The Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor advertises a 450’ range, but actually the reviews confirm that the range is at least that.
- Lock Button-The Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor offers a wide array of functions, so the monitor control gets somewhat “busy” with all of its buttons. They have devised a “lock” button so you don’t inadvertently touch one of the buttons that you don’t want to reset or disturb. Simple but very nice!
Using our immersion research approach, we have come up with some downsides to the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor. Here’s our summary of the downsides.
- Temperature Gauge-The Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor temperature gauge misreads the temperature plus/minus 2-3 degrees. This is not the first time we have identified this as an issue-it’s prevalent.
- Battery Power-We just finished saying we like when what the manufacture says in terms of performance actually occurs. While the Lorex Care N Share lived up to its standards in terms of range, the same cannot be said with respect to batter power. They boast an 8-hour life, but our research tells us to expect more like 2 to 3 hours.
- Night Light-The night light of the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor creates a “bluish” tint in the room and on the baby.
- Customer Service-Said bluntly, the customer service sounds Some customers took it to the limit, saying something to the effect, “if you have a problem with it, say good night and return it if you are still under warranty.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the more common FAQs on the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor.
Q: How do I best retain battery life?
A: Limit the use of all of the features when you can to limit the battery drain. For example, use only the audio functionality if you don’t need video.
Q: Is the camera mountable?
A: Yes, you can mount the camera to the wall-The Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor comes with the hardware to install it. By the way, mounting it up high further increase the P/T/Z range. Just a quick tip.
Q: Can you adjust the volume?
A: Yes the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor comes with an adjustable control for volume.
Q: Can I capture pictures of my baby?
A: Yes, you can. You need to purchase the SD card (sold separately) to snap pictures of your baby. We call it the “Snap N’ Share” option.
In our review of the best baby monitors, the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor ranks NEAR THE BOTTOM of the units we reviewed.
We give the Lorex Care N Share Baby Monitor a NO GO as an add on to our best baby monitor list. Our research has focused on the best baby monitors, and while this still is considered one of the better monitors given the vast number of monitors on the market, there are better choices.